[lug] [OT] Autoconf question

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 12:27:17 MST 2003

>>>>> "Scott" == Scott Herod <herod at dimensional.com> writes:

Scott> Is it possible to build autoconf so that it creates scripts
Scott> with first line "#! /bin/bash" rather than "#! /bin/sh"?

Nope.  That would defeat one of the major points of autoconf, namely
being portable across systems.

Scott> (For what it's worth, this is on a Solaris 5.8 box.)

Yeah.

I think Akim has a plan to make configure scripts choose a better
shell automatically.  I'm not sure of the status of that.  Also you
can run `bash configure CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash' and it will work
properly, even when re-running config.status.

Tom