[lug] linux based ticket tracker

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Jan 11 12:02:46 MST 2003

Ditto on RT.  It works well.

I have been running it for a while now for a personal project.  Initial
setup requires quite a bit of thought about things you don't really
understand yet... (i.e. It wants you to know how to use it before you use
it... heh.), but if you can get through setting it up, play with it a bit
and then either reconfigure it or start over, once you figure out what you
want it to be doing... it works great.

The docs are pretty good for the installation, and it was up and doing what
I needed it to very quickly after the aforementioned "play sessions".

The e-mail to ticket integration is easily the BEST feature.  We use that
exclusively for our project.  We don't even bother having a user-accessible
web interface.

Anyone can e-mail a particular address, RT answers with a nice "we got your
message" message and their ticket number.  If they reply and leave the
subject line intact, RT will append correspondance to the ticket which is
viewable by our team in a web interface.

Attachments to the e-mail are handled correctly and a link is created in the
web interface for the team members to be able to view attachments, and in
general it works very well.  We have seen some weirdness with HTML-formatted
e-mail and funky MIME types, but upgrades to RT seem to have taken care of a
number of these.  The system always creates a link to the message source so
you can usually figure it out.

All of this magic happens in a MySQL database - so other queries and things
can be done on it if need be.  The built in search tool seems to work,
although we don't use it very much.

It's far more configurable than what I need, but that is probably why the
few things I *did* need... just worked.  (GRIN)

Nate