[lug] Redhat 8 install troubles

Steve Sullivan sullivan at Mathcom.COM
Sun Jan 12 06:48:15 MST 2003

Hi,
When I tried to install Redhat 8.0 on my Dell laptop using
the graphical installation, the screen "select installation type ...
workstation/server/custom" was truncated so I could not select
"custom".  There was plenty of room on the physical laptop screen,
but whoever designed the window truncated with window contents
without providing a scroll bar.

So I tried the text mode install.  There I could select "custom"
but when I wanted to manually partition my disk, the forms for
both disk druid and fdisk were messed up.  There is no way to
select a swap partition!  I don't want to use autopartition
because I want to keep an existing /home.

So I went back to Redhat 7.3, where this all works fine:
I can pick "custom install" and can manually partition my disk.

I checked the Redhat bugzilla, but didn't see anyone else
experiencing this problem.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com

   Mathcom Solutions Inc.: Custom Software Development.
    * Mathematical optimization, simulation, and modeling.
    * Data mining, information retrieval.
    * Java, XML, C++, Mathematica, Matlab, XSLT, XQuery, SOAP, RMI, ...

http://www.mathcom.com    303-494-7115