[lug] Kernel Level Debug Tools

Jonathan Corbet corbet-lug at lwn.net
Sun Jan 12 09:24:40 MST 2003

> .What kernel level debug tools are available .... interested in what
> experiences others have had also with the tools, and how they rate them as
> effectiveness, usability, etc.

It depends on what you're trying to do.  Somebody else already mentioned
the debug chapter in Linux Device Drivers, (available online at
http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/ch04.html), so I don't have to do
that...:)

The one thing I might add is that, for certain kinds of work, User-mode
Linux is seriously great stuff.  With UML, you have a kernel running as a
regular process, and you just hit it with gdb in the usual way.  Great for
things like filesystems; not so good for stuff that has to work with real
hardware.

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net