[lug] Suse 8.1 install question

Bob Collins bcollins at fpcc.net
Sun Jan 12 14:16:47 MST 2003

Steve Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
> Recently I tried intalling Suse 8.1.  The install went
> well enough but I couldn't find a way to say
> "give me *everything*" the way I could with Redhat.
>
> So with Suse every time I wanted some unusual utility
> I had to track it down on the various install disks
> and install it separately.  Ugh!
>
> Is there a way to install *everything*?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Steve

I have been having my share of problems with my upgrade from 7.3 to 8.1.
do the choose Software; Change source of installation then choose your
SuSE cd or dvd.

You then will be at a screen that lists all the software available.  It
shows you what you already have installed, gives you the ability to
search for programs that you are interested in.  Pressing F3 will select
the application.  Alt O will load the selected software and all required
software and then go through configuration.

I loaded SuSE fresh on my laptop and it gave me several choices for what
type of install I wanted.  I don't choose everything anymore.  I go with
the default instalation.

When I upgraded my desktop I was given several different choices also.
I can't remember them exactly, but in essence it was update existing and
add new.  I choose update existing.

Then I try to get it working like it did before the update and when I do
I see what is available and add it if I want it.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Bob