[lug] CD R/RW advice

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Jan 12 14:12:52 MST 2003

A non-linux friend is interested in setting up a linux box with a CD
R/RW (and I am kind of curious about a similar thing with DVD R/RW), but
I couldn't offer much advice since I've never had a CD burner (the only
one I have experience with setting up is an HP on Win 2K that constantly
dies from driver problems). Is there any general rule of thumb or
specific advice I can pass along to him? For example, "IDE usually
works", or a given brand is often good or bad? I think a big point on
any advice would be something that doesn't take a lot of painful install
steps for (relatively speaking). The friend is rather computer-savvy,
but not a programmer and very little knowledge of linux...he understands
hardware fairly well.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com