[lug] CD R/RW advice

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Sun Jan 12 17:33:13 MST 2003

First of all, the Linux CD-Writing HOWTO
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html) is your friend (or,
in this case, your friend's friend :-).  Having said that, here is my
experience.

I've had a Yamaha 2100EZ (IDE) for a year-and-a-half.  At the time I
bought it, I also picked one up for my parents' Win2K box.  I have
burned music and data discs (I have yet to successfully burn a VCD in
Linux).

Since I have figured everything out, I haven't really had any Linux-
specific problems.  However, as I have said before on this list (I
think), I'm not really happy with my drive, as it's way too loud
(when reading) and trying to burn at the advertised maximum speed
yields a coaster.

Howver, as anyone will tell you, most (if not all) CD burning software
for Linux expects SCSI hardware, so if you're running an IDE drive, you
have to use SCSI emulation.

Is this the sort of answer you were looking for?

-d

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 at 14:12 -0700, D. Stimits soliloquized thusly:

--
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish
we didn't." Erica Jong (b. 1942); US author