[lug] CD R/RW advice

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jan 12 17:34:27 MST 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 02:12:52PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
>A non-linux friend is interested in setting up a linux box with a CD
>R/RW (and I am kind of curious about a similar thing with DVD R/RW), but

DVD is quite a different matter, but I'd highly recommend an IDE drive,
in particular we've had really good luck with the Lite-On 32X drives,
for about $60 mail-order.

We've also had ok luck with the TDK VeloCD 24x burners, but they're not
possible to find any more, and we did have one or two (out of about 6)
that failed.  They're also fairly expensive unless you can find them
with a rebate...  The 32 and 40X VeloCD drives don't seem to be able to
write any faster than the 24x, despite my best attempts.

Sean
--
 Follow your dreams.  Unless it's the one where you're at work in your
 underwear during a fire drill.