[lug] CD R/RW advice

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 13 08:20:44 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 17:33, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> First of all, the Linux CD-Writing HOWTO
> (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html) is your friend (or,
> in this case, your friend's friend :-).  Having said that, here is my
> experience.
<snip>
> Since I have figured everything out, I haven't really had any Linux-
> specific problems.  However, as I have said before on this list (I
> think), I'm not really happy with my drive, as it's way too loud
> (when reading) and trying to burn at the advertised maximum speed
> yields a coaster.

This is a YMMV situation.  I recently put a LiteOn 52x24x52 in my RH box
at work.  Using xcdroast and the speed set at 52x, I've burned (and
overburned) CD-Rs with no coasters yet.  Of course, since this isn't
Windows, I have no way of telling just what speeds I'm reaching, but a
700 MB backup in 3 minutes is fast enough for me.

And, of course, get IDE.  Frankly, the advantages of a SCSI CD-R/RW
drive are generally outweighed by the faster speeds and lower cost of
IDE drives.

Matt
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good