[lug] Linux threads programming

Carlos Hernandez chernan at datsi.fi.upm.es
Mon Jan 13 10:51:23 MST 2003

Hello,

What I am doing is this : as part of my PhD research  I am developing message
logging protocols for distributed systems. You know,  periodically take a
checkpoint of a process and log its incoming messages, then if a fail occurs,
restore the last checkpoint and rollforward replaying the logged messages.

After recovering the process that has fail, some other  process in the system
could be "inconsistent" and have to  rollback its state.

The interesting thing is that, in my case,  processes are multithreaded and to
improve the performance, I want to rollback single threads of a process instead
of a full process.

Besides the theoretical work I'd like to setup a prototype and that's why I am in
this mess.

Hope this clarify  my questions.

Thanks a lot for your comments.