[lug] linux utility ascii from tex

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Jan 14 09:34:06 MST 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 11:29 am, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> There is one.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember what it is called, which
> was frustrating as I needed it to convert my resume to plain text.

Do a google search for "detex" and "delatex".  They are all over.  It looks
like SuSE even offers an rpm of detex.

> You may find this hard to believe, but I have had better luck generating
> PDF and running that through either "pdftotext" or "ps2ascii" (both read
> PDFs).

I used to use "dvi2tty".  So I'd compile my latex to dvi, then use dvi2tty
to convert to ascii.  It works pretty well and attempts to retain the
formatting, something dtex doesn't do at all.

--Michael