[lug] KRUD 8.0 (12/1/02) Install Issues

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jan 14 21:31:49 MST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:13:38AM -0700, Michael Deck wrote:
>  How often do you do this? What I've been hoping to do is get myself
>up to where I can just drop in the monthly shipment of KRUD and have it
>upgrade what it needs to, without my intervention. Unfortunately, what

That works very well.  We do it here all the time, and it's one of the
things that's most heavily tested before a new KRUD is released.  You
may also want to try "krud2date -vi" with the first CD mounted -- it'll
have similar results, but you don't have to reboot (usually -- unless
there are kernel changes).

I like to do a fresh install whenever I feel like I may have gotten a
lot of kruft on my box -- it's my main development and test box so
sometimes things get installed in the wrong places accidentally or the
like and it's just nice to clean up.  Also I often build updated
versions of different packages and may actually be running some newer
packages than what the newer Red Hat/KRUD is shipping.  I haven't done a
fresh reload in a while though.  Not on my laptop, I mean...

Back to your problem...  First make sure that /var/lib/rpm doesn't have
any files that start with "__" in the name.  If there are any, that's
probably why your "rpm -F" or update is hanging.  If they're there, try
deleting them, then do an "rpm -F".

Also note that "rpm -Va" will verify the files of all the packages
installed.  It will take a while to run and may produce a lot of output,
but it WILL tell you what files you accidentally deleted and from there
you can ask RPM what package the file was in and do a new install of
those packages to get them back.

Note that an "rpm -F" won't do anything unless you have newer versions
of the packages that had files deleted.

Sean
--
 Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.
                 -- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory