[lug] Oracle 8.1.x on KRUD/RedHat 8?

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Wed Jan 15 17:34:48 MST 2003

Oracle wants glibc 2.1. Even the compatibility packages on RedHat 8 are
2.2.

Is it likely to be possible to get Oracle to install without breaking
tons of other stuff on the system? (Unfortunately, I have a 3rd party
product I'd like to test that only runs on Oracle 8... and I'd rather
not downgrade my OS to 7.x when I've just gotten 8.0 tweked to a
satisfactory state).

Would it be safe to switch out the compat libraries with the ones from
the 7.3 disks, install oracle, and switch them back? Or will that leave
oracle looking for things it can't find when it tries to run?

Thanks

Elyse