[lug] RH8 keyboard layout woes

Anders Knudsen anders at theknudsens.net
Mon Jan 20 21:59:25 MST 2003

OK. I've experimented, I've google'd, I've pulled hair out!

What's the deal with RH8 and it's "locale" and/or keyboard layouts?
Specifically, I send emails to my danish relatives, and I use danish
characters (O with the slash, the ae put together, and the A with a ball
on top.)
If I receive messages with such characters (in evolution) I get them
displayed correctly.
If I change keyboard layout, and compose a new message, the characters
are displayed correctly on my end, but the receiver gets the wrong
characters.
I suspect it's a UTF-8 thing, but I'm a keyboard layout/character code
noob, so I'm not sure where to start to mitigate.

any one else using RH8 (aka UTF-8) and international characters?

TIA,
-anders.