[lug] configure && make && make install

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Tue Jan 21 09:48:28 MST 2003

Thanks to everyone for the "poor man's package management" suggestions.
Maybe I was a bit unclear in what I was after-- I just wanted a way to
archive the INSTALLED files and transfer them to a new machine.
Archiving the compile directory tends to involve several times more
files; I didn't want to get into RPM because I want a simple TAR.

Anyway, I think the winning suggestion is from James:

> ./configure && make && make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/pkgname install.
> Then tar it up starting in /var/tmp/pkgname.

That sounds like exactly what I want.  Get everything ready, but don't
install it in the "proper" place-- put it somewhere where I can grab
everything and go.

Thanks again!
Jeff