[lug] Using ide-scsi

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sun Jan 26 01:15:27 MST 2003

>>>>> "SCDM" == deedsmis  <SoloCDM> writes:

SCDM> If I use ide-scsi to operate a CD-RW, how do I mount the CD-RW

If you want to mount a standard CD-ROM, or a finalized CD-R / CD-RW,
you can use the "sr_mod" (scsi cd-rom) module.

SCDM> (do I continue to use /dev/hdd for the CD-RW)?

Probably not; if you use sr_mod, it will show up as /dev/scd0,
/dev/scd1, etc.

SCDM> Would I need the sg module with ide-scsi?

You should only need sg if you're burning.

Note that some recent changes to the kernel (2.5.recent) allow you to
do burning without using ide-scsi, but with a patched version of
cdrecord; apparently there is a huge win in cpu usage, as the new
method can take advantage of UDMA and other goodies.

SCDM> What is the sg module and how is it used?

"scsi generic".  When you use cdrecord, it will automatically try to
determine which "scsi generic" module is attached to the device you
give it (typically /dev/scd?, which is a read-only device -- not too
helpful for recording, no?).