[lug] Using Mkisofs

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sun Jan 26 01:27:14 MST 2003

>>>>> "SCDM" == deedsmis  <SoloCDM> writes:

SCDM> Recently I used "mkisofs -J -o nsdownload.iso <directory>" with
SCDM> kernel 2.2.20 and mkisofs 1.13 on Mandrake 8.0, only mkisofs
SCDM> seemed to glob all the files by the results from the output.  If
SCDM> globing can be avoided, then how?

Hm.  'mkisofs' basically assumes that you've set up a directory tree
to mirror what you want on your ISO-9660 filesystem.  So it doesn't
glob, so much as it simply tries to create an ISO-9660 filesystem that
accurately mirrors the tree you provide on the command line.

Having said that, there should be ways to tell 'mkisofs' to ignore
certain files, maybe even classes of files.  Look for phrases like
"exclusion list" or "read files to include from filename" in the
docs.  Relevant options seem to be:

   -hide
   -hide-list
   -hidden
   -hidden-list
   -m
   -exclude-list
   -path-list
   -x

Also, remember that you can always test the result of mkisofs by using
the loopback driver.  After you create an iso, try mounting it and
then examining it there:

   mkisofs -o my-image.iso ...
   sudo mkdir /mnt/image
   sudo mount -o ro,loop -t iso9660 my-image.iso /mnt/image

(It might be "-it isofs"; I always get it backwards, but it suggests
the correct argument, so...)

SCDM> If I don't need a record of the files on the CD from the ISO
SCDM> creation, how can I stop mkisofs from adding the record of
SCDM> files?

Adding record of files?  I'm not sure I understand your question.

Are you talking about TRANS.TBL?  Try searching for that in the
documentation.  It seems that you can hide it from the Joliet tree,
and it might not be created under certain circumstances.  In
particular, if you're specifying the "-T" option ... don't.

Good luck,
t.