[lug] plug-ins for mozilla

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Jan 26 17:45:25 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 16:34, Arlan Ramsay wrote:
> To register at a particular web site, I needed a Java plug-in.
> I was running mozilla, and tried to download from the recommended site.
> At the end, I was told that the download had failed, try later.  This
> happened at four separated times.
>
> Then I visited the site with netscape, and there was no need to download
> the plugin.  My guess is that it comes with netscape, although I have a
> fairly old version.
>
> Does anyone have words of insight on this problem?

Yes:

1) Go to http://java.sun.com/ and download the latest version of
   the J2SE.  Follow their install directions which will have you
   put it in /usr/java/ or someplace similar

2) Go to the plugin directory which for my version was located in
   /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01/jre/plugin/i386/ns610 and copy (or
   just create a soft-link the) the shared library for the mozilla
   plugin directory which was /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/plugins/

   The soft-link command i used was:

    cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/plugins/
    ln -s \
    /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
    libjavaplugin_oji.so

3) restart mozilla and type in "about:plugins" in the URL area to
   see which plugins you have installed.  You should see that the
   Java plugin is now listed.  If so, you're all set.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483