[lug] Backup to 2nd HD with dd & rsync?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 27 15:58:55 MST 2003

Inline...

Interesting, I never realized that... I don't dink around much with the
low-level boot process, but I guess you're saying that if you have a kernel
pre-compiled with your SCSI driver in it monolithically, you don't need to
do the bootstrapping gunk from an initial Ramdisk... that makes sense.
Hmm... never realized that.

> As to making a backup, I have done this with rsync from one IDE disk to
> another IDE disk of a different type.  Using dd is likely to cause far
> more problems than it solves for this task.  If you want true backups try
> dump.  If you want what I call a "cold mirror" run rsync out of cron.

Agreed here.  I only mess with dd on *exactly identical* hardware.

> One system I set up this way excluded /etc/fstab on the backup.  I set up
> a floppy and rdeved it to the backup drive.  I manually edited the backup
> copy of /etc/fstab.  That floppy could then be used to roll the system
> back to the last rsync.

Ahh... interesting tactic.

> The nice thing about this is that it is very easy to recover a file from
> the rsync backup; just mount the disk and use normal filesystem tools
> (i.e. cp).  Beats the hell out of tapes for an "oops" type restore.

Yeah, tape sucks, but it's nice to know everything's on tape if you need
it... Catch-22.

Nate