[lug] Backup to 2nd HD with dd & rsync?

Phil Rasch pjr at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 27 20:52:33 MST 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at  09:28:06 -0500 "Michael D. Hirsch" <mhirsch at nubridges.com> wrote

> On Saturday 25 January 2003 06:50 pm, Phil Rasch wrote:
>
> > As an aside, I will extend the KNOPPIX (which is a Debian variant)
> > plug. It has the best on the fly hardware recognition that I have ever
> > seen in a linux or BSD distribution. It boots up to X from the CD in
> > about a minute recognizing every bit of hardware on 5 different
> > machines (with the exception of an old soundcard on one box) I have
> > tried, including two laptops. I liked it so much I have installed it
> > on my hard drives to provide a very modern Debian distribution and it
> > is the only distribution I am now using on those machines.
>
> I like Knoppix, too.  You mentioned that you installed it on the HD.  How=
> =20
> do you do that?  I didn't see any instructions on that, but I'd like to d=
> o=20
> that.
>
> I use Knoppix often on my kids computer.  They like some of the games.  O=
> n=20
> an amuzing note my wife booted the system for my kids once when the=20
> Knoppix disk was in the drive (oops) and couldn't figure out what to do. =
> =20
> My 4 year old had to teach her "Press The K!".
>
> Michael

There is a method described in the FAQ at
<http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt>

but the better solution is to use the new install script described at
<http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html>

Make sure that you download a very recent version of the knoppix
distribution before you run it. The script and distribution are
changing (and improving) rapidly. The latest version is

KNOPPIX_V3.1-2003-01-20

Just like with many distributions, it is safer to take the defaults in
almost all circumstances and modify the setup afterwards. One thing
that apparently is not always clear is to make sure during setup that
you allocate a partition for swap during the install (it will walk you
through it) and allocate at least 2 xGbytes for the partition where you
will install knoppix (cant remember the exact number, choose 3Gbytes
for safety).

Phil