[lug] awk question

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Tue Jan 28 08:55:52 MST 2003

> Alright, I have to admit that it took using Excel to come up
> with this one, but
> how about importing the data into a spreadsheet, and then
> saving as a tab
> delimited file? This would cause:
>
> 1,2,"3,4",5  --->  1	2	"3,4"	5
>
> Would that work for you? Failing that, would you be able to
> "massage" the file
> in the same manner?
>
> Again, just throwing out ideas here,
>
> David

My gosh... The simplicity of it nearly brings a tear to my eye.  Yes, that
would do the job quite nicely, in fact.  It's amazing what a different point
of view will reveal.  :)

Thanks!  I think I'll still try the exercise in pain that John Koontz
suggested since I'd ultimately like to automate this... But your
recommendation will help me get the initial meat-n-potatoes out today.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Jim