[lug] Video card recommendations

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu Jan 30 16:00:59 MST 2003

Well, it's time to get a new video card.  I picked up a flat panel a few
months ago and am ready to get a card to do it justice.

It is one of these:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/office/displaymonitors/lcdseries/sdm-m81_specs.shtml

Right now I'm driving it a 1024x768 with a 2 meg video card :-(

What I am looking for (in rough order of importance):

- Available
- "good"* Free Linux drivers
- DVI-I output
- Cheap

"Nice to haves":

- NTSC out
- "good"** 3d performance
- other whiz-bang stuff like MPEG hardware (enc or de-enc)
- NTSC in
- Lots of ram that I can use for swap (seriously, see
http://hedera.linuxnews.pl/_news/2002/09/03/_long/1445.html)

TIA for any advice.

-Peter

* By good I mean stable, fast and anything else you can think of ;-)
** By good I mean cheap and works under linux.