[lug] OT: registrar switching

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 30 23:27:58 MST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 07:18:58PM -0700, Michael Deck wrote:
>Related to this, what (besides price) differentiates registrars?
>How would I be able to tell a "good" one from a "bad" one, assuming there
>are no other services, like web hosting, that they provide me? Are there
>different levels of reliability?

Basically, being a registrar means that you are able to commit updates
to the root name servers databases for a zone.  It's not like DNS where,
for example tummy.com has a DNS server here in Colorado and a secondary
in Illinois.  The root name servers are already geographically
distributed, and so when tummy.com does registration of a zone it is
handled exactly as if any other registrar did it.  You get the same
reliability and availability out of it that any other user would get.

As far as what differentiates registrars...  We've gotten feedback from
our customers that they appreciate being able to reach us when there are
problems, and also that we are are such supporters of the local Linux
community.

Sean
--
 668:     Next door neighbor of the beast.
 vivivi:  The editor of the beast.