[lug] Video card recommendations

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Feb 1 11:54:16 MST 2003

* James Borley (james.borley at ieee.org) wrote:
> I have a Matrox G400, it does NTSC out.  They are great cards if you can
> find one.  There are several different linux drivers available, including
> ones from Matrox.  It's not the fastest 3D card by any means, but the 2D,
> TV-Out, and Dual Head features are outstanding.  I think the G450 does
> DVI, and the G400 will do it with a daughter card.
>
> Apparently Matrox released new beta drivers yesterday:
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/lnx_21.cfm
>
> how's that for support ;-)

If you want to do anything that invovles real 3D, the Matrox is a very
bad choice.  However, if you don't play Quake3, the Matrox cards are the
best out there.  The difference between clarity, resolution, lack of
ghosting, etc, between my Matrox G400 and Nvidia GForce 2 is marked.
The Matrox is the cleanest card out there that I have ever seen.

Tim
==  Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net  ==
==  http://i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net  ==