[lug] OT: Wipro/Bangalore

r_ms r_msmit at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 5 17:27:56 MST 2003

I know this is off-topic, but today I heard that another major local firm is
laying off locally and contracting with Wipro of Bangalore India to have
their entire project completed. Companies like STK, Sun, and others seem to
be farming more and more work over there.

Are there any initiatives that anyone is aware of to encourage these
companies to keep these projects "on-shore"?

My concern is are we training Bangalore with our technology so that they can
effectively be the tech companies of the future, and thus lose our technical
edge? What students will want to spend thousands on a computer science
degree to try to compete with Bangalore??

RMS