[lug] OT: Wipro/Bangalore

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Fri Feb 7 01:24:57 MST 2003

r ms wrote:

> Well, our best prospective talent will make career decisions based on
> the perceptions of the health of the tech sector and the ability to
> secure a reasonable job within that sector and to be able to make a
> decent living. And the question is will this be compromised by the
> growing export of whole projects from here to Bangalore and Wipro by
> US companies.

This may or may not be true. It has always surprised me the number of
intelligent people who major in history, political science, english, etc.

Whether it is a valid analogy or not, look at Computer Sciences sister
profession, Electrical Engineering, to get an idea of the course of the
future. When was the last time you bought an American made TV, VCR, or
Stereo? Yet the EE profession continues even though the pay would be
higher if the design and manufacturing of these items were still done in
the US. As in the EE profession, another thing that can happen is that
with the jobs that can't be exported, companies will import foreign
expertise to do them using H1B visas.

Just some random thoughts on this issue.
Steve