[lug] imap performance

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Fri Feb 7 14:35:39 MST 2003

Hugh Brown said:
> I have users complaining about slow performance of the mail server.  I'm
> using UW-IMAPD.  Usually they have large mail spools (large => greater
> than 50MB and about 4000-5000 messages).  Should I tell them to file
> their mail and pare down their inboxes, or should I look for something
> deeper.
>
> Alternatively, is there an optimal size for mailbox files?  Is there a
> size that doesn't cause massive slow downs, but doesn't require having
> lots of little mailbox files

Check the UW IMAPD FAQ (or the SquirrelMail FAQ).  Notably (IIRC) turning
the sticky bit on in the mailspool directory allows the daemon to use a
much faster file locking mechanism.

In fact, see http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/en_US/SpeedWithUW.  Some of
this is SM specific, but I think that it may be better overall tuning info
than you'd find on UW's site.

-Peter