[lug] Sound driver

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Mon Feb 10 10:25:31 MST 2003

Here's a weird one.

When I boot my laptop at work, the sound system always comes up. KDE
plays its little tune when I log in, sounds on websites work, etc.

When I boot it at home, the sound system never comes up. No tune, no
sounds on websites. Soundcard detection acts like it works, but no
sounds come out if I click the test button.

I make no changes to the setup: I just shutdown the laptop at work and
plug it in at home and start it up.

There are ethernet connections at both places. The modem card stays in
the laptop at work and is found at boot time(so it doesn't get lost) and
the failure at home happens regardless of whether the modem cable is
plugged into the modem card.

How does the laptop know that it is at home instead of at work and why
should that affect the sound drivers?

KRUD/RedHat 8.0
--
Elyse Grasso