[lug] Sound driver

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Mon Feb 10 15:26:32 MST 2003

On 02/10/03 14:08 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Elyse> Based on people's suggestions, I'm suspecting DNS
> Elyse> differences. It's the one thing I can think of that's
> Elyse> definitely different between the 2 sites. Though why anyone
> Elyse> would make a sound driver that cares about dns and has no
> Elyse> apparent way to configure it for local use only, escapes me.
>
> Do you know for a fact it is the driver?  I would guess that there is
> a sound daemon running that gets confused by the differences in the
> network setup.

This sounds a little peculiar.  It sounds like your name isn't resolving
while you are home and aRts is trying to use a name to IP resolution for
serving up sound.
Do you use the same nameserver at work as you do at home?
A few things that may be worth looking at are:
What entries are in your /etc/hosts file?
While attached to your network at work, ping your hostname.  What IP
does it return?  Do you get ICMP replies?
Now, with the machine still on, detach from the work network and repeat
the ping steps.  Do you still get an IP?  Does you still get ICMP