[lug] Re: linux dual booting on separate hard drives

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Feb 11 21:41:23 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 21:03, Justin Haaheim wrote:
> Ed,
> I was reading through some of the boulder linux user group archives and
> came across this:
>
> I'm dual-booting a few machines with RH 7.2/7.3 and either W2K or
> WinXP.  One of them has multiple hard disks with different OSes on
> each.  On all of them, I'm using grub and it works great.  I think grub
> is *much* nicer than Lilo in many respects (eg. config editing, no
> 1024-cyl limitation) and I highly recommend it.
>

> I have a machine with two 40gb hard drives on which I'm trying to dual
> boot redhat 8 and windows xp.  I've had a great deal of trouble getting
> the dual booting to work.  When I try to run winxp through grub, it
> prints the commands to run windows (rootnoverify(/dev/hdb  etc. etc.)
> and does nothing.  Can you tell me how you set up one of your similar
> systems to correctly dual boot?
>
> many thanks,
> Justin

Hi Justin,

Generally, its considered good (n)etiquette to keep discussions on-list
so that they will be archived and people can "Google" for them.  So I'm
posting this to the BLUG list.  In future, please send your questions
directly to the BLUG list and not to me.  You're more likely to get help
that way.

So I'm currently dual-booting WinXP and KRUD 8.0 (essentially, Red Hat
8.0) on one of my X-ray controllers.  I used the following procedure:

  1) installed WinXP in a small-ish partition on the primary drive and

  2) installed KRUD 8.0 and specified the GRUB boot-loader in the MBR
     of the primary drive.  The KRUD (Red Hat) installer automatically
     recognized the WinXP install and created an entry for it within
     Grub.  I then manually (Disk Druid) partitioned all the remaining
     space on both the first and second disks as various Linux (ext3)
     partitions.

  3) Done.  Grub works great, booting both KRUD 8.0 and WinXP.

Note that its important to install Windows versions first since they
usually don't "play nice" with other OSes.  If the above doesn't work
for you, then please send a an email to the BLUG list with a description
of what you did so others can help you diagnose it.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483