[lug] Re: linux dual booting on separate hard drives

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Feb 11 23:43:07 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 22:05, Justin Haaheim wrote:
> Two more pieces i just thought of:
> 1) is it possible to do this (reinstalling grub to the windows drive
> mbr) without reinstalling linux, and, if so, how?

Yes.  I've done that but I don't remember the details.  Please see the
GRUB documentation ("info grub") for details.

> 2) on my secondary linux drive, i'd actually like to partition some
> space as fat32 so that both linux and windows can read it (as i
> understand it).  Can i do this through the redhat installation, and, if
> not, what's the best way to do it otherwise.

It certainly can be done.  I don't remember whether the Red Hat
installer will format partitions as FAT but you could always have
Windows format the partition(s) that you want as FAT.  Or you could
format the partitions after the install.  There are many ways to
accomplish it...

You know, there'll be a Linux Installfest this Saturday here in Denver:

  http://clue.denver.co.us/installfest.html

and there will likely be a number of people there who can help you do
all of the above on your machine.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483