[lug] libexpat.so.0 error unless Apache started by root user

Rob Judd rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu
Thu Feb 13 17:59:14 MST 2003

> I'm running Red Hat 7.2, php-4.2.3, expat-1.95.4.
>
> When I start Apache as root, it starts fine.
>
> But, my startups scripts fail, as does starting apache from a non root user,
> with the following error:
>
> "bin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory"

It sounds like root has the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to point to /usr/local/lib
in a login init script, but other users do not (so apache can't find the
library for them).  Scripts fail similarly because they don't run the
login init script that sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

What Sean said should fix it.

Rob