[lug] KRUD mentioned in The Register

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Feb 14 09:25:25 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 09:52, Andrew Diederich wrote:

> The article is about Red Hat, et. al., discontinuing support for older
> versions.  At the end it says how this could throw business Tummy's way.
> I think the article came originally from Security Focus Online, and I saw
> it linked off news.google.com.

Interesting.  I know Jon Lasser has been familiar with Tummy.com for a
while - he was a speaker at CLIQ and no doubt if he didn't know them
before that, he probably became very familiar at that point.  He's right
- extended support for older versions of RH or Mandrake could be a
successful market niche for some.  It might not make them another RH,
but it will keep them in new motherboards for awhile.  Home users and
small businesses really don't want to do reinstalls - no matter how easy
they might be - more than once every 2 years or so.  I know I don't.
Updates are less disruptive to apply (usually).

Funny how they talk about 12-18 months of support.  I had someone write
me the other day asking if I could help with Dell Unix.  I worked on
that project (and watched it die) back in '89-'91 and he noticed that on
my resume (after a net search for anyone familiar with Dell Unix).  I
suspect, even at the outrageous prices charged for PC Unix back then,
he's gotten his moneys worth by now.  I highly suggested his move to
Linux, of course. Support for Dell Unix died with the project (the
interested reader will also make the appropriate connections to discover
my continuing disdain for Michael Dell...).
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>
Graphics Muse