[lug] KRUD mentioned in The Register

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Fri Feb 14 10:50:35 MST 2003

* On 2003-02-14 16:54 Michael D. Hirsch <mhirsch at nubridges.com> wrote:
> On Friday 14 February 2003 10:52 am, Andrew Diederich wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/29330.html
> >
> > The article is about Red Hat, et. al., discontinuing support for older
> > versions.  At the end it says how this could throw business Tummy's way.
> > I think the article came originally from Security Focus Online, and I
> > saw it linked off news.google.com.
>
> Anyone know if Tummy.com has any plans to offer support for older RH
> releases?  I know some people that might be interested.

We'd be interested in doing it, if the interest (and the payment) was high
enough to justify it.

I suspect that Red Hat is planning on offering updates to their
Professional and Advanced Servers for much longer than their Base offering,
because the economics of offering support for the base offering preclude
it. That is, it is a financial cost, and not a justifiable benefit to
continue to provide free support to older, primarily free and low prices
Red Hats. The situation is likely a lot different for versions which they
charge more for, and for customers which they are likely to derive
considerable consulting revenue.

So, if we were found enough clients who were interested in paying for
updates to older versions, we'd be happy to do them.

But, the interest in our 6.2 and 7.3 versions has been very small (10s of
people), while the effort in maintaining the versions is very close to the
effort necessary to track the most current version.

In general, we've been recommending upgrading to the most recent version,
because the quality control in recent releases is very good, and the risk
with upgrading is less than the risk in falling behind.

I'd be happy to talk with anyone who is interested in receiving updated
older versions.

                            http://www.tummy.com/