[lug] OT Netwerking Layers 101

Toni Janz toni at only-an-egg.org
Tue Feb 18 16:31:11 MST 2003

* Toni Janz <egg at only-an-egg.org> Dated [02/18/03 15:59] wrote:
> * Warren Sanders <sanders at montanalinux.org> Dated [02/18/03 15:39] wrote:
> > I'm testing out NTOP; a network traffic probe that shows the network usage
> > (ntop.org) on our lan.
> >
> > Our main panel is an HP ProCurve switch 4000M and is configured to allow my
> > connection to monitor the network.
> >
> > Was connected with a 5 port Linksys switch and found I was getting info
> > from only what was going through this switch.
> >
> > I then replaced it with an
> > old 4 port 10 base Netgear hub and I could then see all the network traffic.
> >
> > Now I replaced the 5 port Linksys switch with a 5 port Linksys 100 base hub
> > (EFAH05W) and I'm back to only seeing my branch of the network.  Just for
> > kicks I linked off this with another Linksys 10 base hub and moved only my
> > connection to this and can see all the network again!
> >
> > So I'm wondering if the Linksys 100 hub is doing something to the network
> > layers that you normally see in a switch (private lines)?  I'm confused!  I
> > don't want to have to us a 10 base hub whenever I need to monitor; why
> > can't the 100's do it?
> >
> > Thanks for any insight,
> > --
> > Warren Sanders
> > http://MontanaLinux.Org

My bad, I am all fingers and no forebrain due to lack of sleep.
(although people have argued otherwise ;P)

Though I cannot get a clear idea of how your network is set up, sorry to
bow out just now but I would like someone more rested to take a stab at
it as I don't know if its your phrasing or my sleepyness.

*goes to rest his body as his mind has apparently gone so*

Toni