[lug] wlan

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Thu Feb 20 10:41:44 MST 2003

I have been looking at wireless for my Linux network. I am very ignorant
about the different devices and protocols that can be used.

 From surface appearance it looks to me like 802.11a would be a better
course to take than 802.11b because of the higher bit rate. Am I
correct, or are there problems I am unaware of with the 802.11a?

The specific devices I am considering, all from Dlink are as follows,
DWL-6000AP - Access Point
DWL-A520 - PCI Wireless Adapter which I would use for desktops
DWL-A650 - CardBus Wireless Adapter which I would use for lap tops.

I did a search in the Dlink web site and could find no mention of
drivers for Linux for either the DWL-A520 or the DWL-A650. On google I
only found people asking if there are drivers for these cards. No
reasonable answers.

Does anyone know of an equivalent  product that has drivers for Linux,
or a source of drivers for these products, or a good suggestion for a
better route to take?

Thanks,
Steve Queen