[lug] proc or other master/slave IDE indicator?

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Feb 19 18:36:14 MST 2003

I have a machine with complicated cabling, buried where it isn't easy to
get to it. Combine this with another machine in a similar state of
requiring Xena flips and screams to reach. Shared among these is an IDE
drive on a removeable IDE tray, and it is impossible to figure out from
this drive whether it is master or slave. Each machine has a CD ROM (and
in fact I am replacing one with a cheap cd drive so it can read CD-R),
and the old CD being replaced is scsi, so there is no knowledge of which
  the setting is for master/slave among these. Well, there are a few
Xena flips and acrobatic maneuvers, some cussing, some cut hands from
reaching around corners...you get the idea. Can anyone tell me if there
is a way from /proc/ (I browsed /proc/ide/) or something else to tell me
if a particular drive is on master, slave, or cable select on the IDE? I
might end up just trying different configs till the CD works, but even
that is not so easy without some serious furniture moving (I'm now
sitting beneath the table, contorted, typing on a keyboard way above my
head, straining to read this, just to get the cover off). For all I
know, the kernel and o/s do not know any difference between
master/slave/cable select on IDE, in which case I should just hire an
acrobat :P

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com