[lug] IDE cable Q, additional Q

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Thu Feb 20 20:25:57 MST 2003

D. Stimits wrote:

> On an IDE cable, a "modern" UDMA 133 spec cable, it appears that the
> cable itself has master and slave marked on the cable...this must be
> what "cable select" setting is for :)
>
> If I set a drive to master or slave, rather than cable select, and then
> use it on the above cable, will it fail to place a master jumpered drive
> on the slave position of the cable (and vice versa)?

On top of the above question, I find that the cable I purchased has a
center pin blocked, and will not fit on the old board (which I think
supported up to UDMA 33). Are UDMA 133 cables completely incompatible
with UDMA 33/antique motherboards? [it is an integrated IDE controller]

I had a lot of trouble finding a cable long enough, and if that pin
isn't needed for normal IDE, I'd be willing to cut the thing right off
of the motherboard...I'm really having a hard time finding a reasonable
cable of the length I need.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com