[lug] Programming

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Feb 21 17:37:32 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 13:14, jd wrote:
> Hello,
>   I need to write a app for windoz. I have only used perl
> on a Unix/Linux platform before. I don't want to use perl
> to make the windoz app, do to the lack to a perl interpretor
> on most windoz boxen.
>   So, i have been fooling around with Visual Basic...
> This language is not nearly as elegant as PERL, and
> some of the concepts just seem like allot of work compared
> to the the same concept in PERL. So I was thinking of
> maybe trying Visual C++. I have seen allot of C code
> and, it looks easier and more logical.
>  To get to the point, I have already spent a week playing with VB
> and I don't want to waste anymore time learning VB if I can
> come further and faster using visual C++.... So for someone
> with mostly just PERL exp. , what would be the most similar
> language in concepts and syntax (to PERL), that will allow me to make
> GUI apps for windoz.

Hi jd,

Since you're contemplating a jump from PERL to C++ or from PERL to VB,
why not move from PERL to Java?  Java is yet another language with
C-like syntax and with Java you'd get:

  1) a free (as in beer) SDK and runtime

  2) easier (than C/C++) memory management

  3) an *immense* range of free (again, as in beer) and
     remarkably well-documented libraries for various
     problem domains, and

  4) a framework thats about as close to WORA (write once
     run anywhere) as anything currently gets.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483