[lug] Programming

Kenneth D. Weinert mc at morat.net
Fri Feb 21 17:56:52 MST 2003

On 21 Feb 2003 13:44:26 -0700
jd <lug at taproot.bz> wrote:

> wow, thats neat...didn't know that :) I will definitely try this..
> On a side note...I would like to learn a compiled language
> that will work for Windoz and Linux. If I start learning
> MS Visual C++, Could i write c++ progs for Linux with it?
> I know this is probably a dumb question :)

	Well, there are a couple of options (at least) that you can
look at here.

	One is Delphi/Kylix - I've had no luck taking a Windows/Delphi
program and compiling it under Kylix. But I think that if you start
with portability in mind you'd be able to do much better.

	The other is to look at a Framework - I'm currently rewriting
the above program using wxWindows which is a) open source, b) c++, and
c) attempts to look as much like the native platform as possible.

	I'm compiling the windows version of the program with mingw32
set up as a cross compiler and testing under Wine (and a real version
of windows through a friend.)

	There are probably other frameworks that would let you do the
same thing.

/~\ The ASCII        Ken Weinert   Ken.Weinert at ihs.com
\ / Ribbon Campaign  303-858-6956 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)
 X  Against HTML     GnuPG: 9274F1CE  GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
/ \ Email!           1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
Often it is means that justify ends: Goals advance technique and
technique survives even when goal structures crumble. -- Alan J. Perlis