[lug] Programming

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Feb 21 18:20:36 MST 2003

jd wrote:

> >That's a can of worms to open for a topic...
> >
> >Opinion: You can't go further faster with VC++ compared to VBasic. You
> >can build nothing secure if you use VBasic. You can go further with VC++
> >than VB by quite a lot if you spend time doing it. Lots of people have
> >been saying that one of the only things MS has done right lately is C#
> >(pronounced "C Sharp"), and that it is extremely good for fast and
> >elegant. Java is nice for some cross-platform things, but you might run
> >into version problems there too, and in many ways C++ (if you use
> >templates and template containers) is way beyond Java (though not
> >necessarily as useful under VC++, since VC++ templates lag behind the
> >times relative to g++). In linux, the Mono project does C#, though
> >apparently it isn't complete yet. The windows update link offers users a
> >chance to add the .NET framework, along with C# support, so although
> >some machines don't have C# support, they can easily get it directly
> >from MS updates.
> >
> >The thing you haven't stated is what you expect to be doing, and what
> >you expect when done.
> >
> >D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com
> >

> well, This particlar application will transfer files from a windoz
> box to a Linux server using ftp. Nothing to big.
>
> All my programming is for little apps mostly to help speed up little
> day to day activties. Dont want to write my own OS or anything like that
> :) I have found perl and perl/tk to fill this job nicley on Linux/Unix.
> But I would also like a language that has compiled binaries , works
> on Linux,WIN,MacOSX. Compiled for security reasons. I dont know
> much about Macs, but its looking like Java might be the easiest to
> have run on multiple platforms.

For network support, such as what you mention above, Java does well, and
is actually somewhat compatible between Linux/Win32. Additionally, Java
will teach you a chunk of what you need to learn C++, they're very close
in some ways. I don't know what C# offers for network support, but I
suspect that it has it covered (on Win32 at least...no idea how Mono
does on Linux).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com