[lug] High resolution timers

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Fri Feb 21 22:56:10 MST 2003

D. Stimits wrote:
> average system. I gettimeofday() actually useful as a microsecond
> resolution clock on non-RT x86 linux?

In short, yes.

> Even the earlier mentioned URL
> talks about how the scheduler itself can cause a 10 ms error simply by
> scheduling something else temporarily.

Of course it can.  You can't expect real time behavior with a non-real
time scheduler.  That's an issue of the scheduler, not gettimeofday.  If
you use SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR, you won't have to be converned deal with
the scheduler.  There are still other uncontrolled interruptions that
can occur on a non-RT operating system, but again, that's an issue of
the OS, not gettimeofday.  You would have exactly the same problems with
a program running on such an OS reading a hardware timer.