[lug] combatting hard drive heat

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Feb 23 17:32:12 MST 2003

Mr Viggy wrote:

> You might try to find a peltier element.  I don't know how handy you are
> with electronics, but if you get get a peltier element, you might be
> able to wire it into your power supply.
>
> If you don't know, a peltier element is basically an wlmost paper thin
> device that will get really cold when electricity is passed through it.
>    Those car refrig's ususally have peltier elements in them.
>
> Unfortunately, I really don't know where you might find one the right
> size (sorry!).
>
> Viggy
>
> D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > jd wrote:

> >> 10000
> >> (doesn't
> main
> for air

> >> sinks,
> >> between

Peltier seems like the right idea, but I'm not sure if I can get one
that will fit right for what I'm doing. This is actually a drive cage
needing cooling (without room for air flow through of front-to-back,
only sides). On the other hand, I'm not sure I have the power source to
work with it, I'll have to find some peltier cell that has published
specs on power. One thing I do know is that a peltier will cause heat
build-up instead of heat-cooling if the amount of power is less than the
amount of heat power it must transfer...if it dissipates 25 watts of
thermal energy at the heat source, then the peltier must be fed greater
than 25 watts to cool...anything less than 25 watts supplied would cause
increased heat, rather than decreased heat.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if maybe the floppy has been damaged
already. The floppy seems to work ok for some things (under linux), but
all of the windows installs are dying, telling me the floppy is bad (it
seemed to work ok earlier though). FYI, the windows part is a minor part
of what I hope will have several linux distros and one windows version
on it, but all of my windows stuff is so old they require floppies for
install. So I'm guessing that now I'll have to purchase another floppy
drive, but I don't want to do that until the heat problems are solved. I
have a feeling that a peltier would be too expensive.

One place I remember seeing years ago in the Denver area with peltier
(not bonded to a heat sink or anything, just flat plates) was Gateway
(not the mass advertised Gateway Computer, but Gateway Electronics), but
I think they might have gone out of business, not sure.