[lug] combatting hard drive heat

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Feb 24 15:31:50 MST 2003

Kenneth D. Weinert wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:51:48 -0700
> "D. Stimits"  wrote:
>
> Ok, here's a dumb idea, but it might work for you.
>
> Can you drill holes (or completely remove) the bay covers and
> externally mount one of the muffin fans to blow (or suck, whichever is
> better) air across the drives?

Shame, you've been reading my mind! Which is not yet heat damaged, but I
think it is starting to warp, so you might get I/O errors if you keep
reading it.

> >From what you said earlier appearance isn't a big deal here since it's
> tucked away under a desk.
>
> It should be fairly easy to extend the 2 wires to supply power to the
> fan and much easier than finding appropriate cables for the drives.
>
> I suggested drilling holes/slots in the bay covers, because you might
> need to mount the fan to those covers - at least that might be the
> easiest way to do it.
>
> Ok, so it's dumb and low tech - but it might work for you and it's
> relatively inexpensive to boot.

I already have 1 fan that will probably work, I just need to find a way
to cover the blades (I have a dog in the house). All in all, I'm willing
to live with "ugly". I just don't know if it will be enough, and the
floppy part still needs front access. I wonder what effect fan magnetics
will have if it sits right over the floppy drive, with a floppy parked
in it over a period of weeks or months.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com