[lug] Disk usage discrepancy?

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Feb 26 09:59:27 MST 2003

Justin-lists wrote:

> I just ran into this today when trying to clean up my /var partition:
>
> [glowecon at oldschool glowecon]$ df -h |grep var
> /dev/hda3             980M  295M  636M  32% /var
>
> But...
>
> [glowecon at oldschool glowecon]$ sudo du -hs /var
> 92M     /var
>
> Am I missing something here?

I get a similar report on an ext3 system. I don't know what accounts for
the difference, but du tends to have more bells and whistles, so I'd be
more apt to believe the df with higher size listing. Somehow I'd bet du
is not measuring everything that df does here, e.g., some form of overhead.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com