[lug] Disk usage discrepancy?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Feb 26 10:10:27 MST 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 11:38 am, Justin-lists wrote:
> I just ran into this today when trying to clean up my /var partition:
>
> [glowecon at oldschool glowecon]$ df -h |grep var
> /dev/hda3             980M  295M  636M  32% /var
>
> But...
>
> [glowecon at oldschool glowecon]$ sudo du -hs /var
> 92M     /var

What filesystem is on /var?  There was an obscure bug in reiserfs a while
ago that could cause problems like this.

Another possibility is that you are running some kind of log watching
program and log files are kept open even after they have been removed.
You might try rebooting and see if that discrepancy is still there.

Michael