[lug] syntax of smbmount in my fstab

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Thu Feb 27 11:04:05 MST 2003

Are you sure this is a FAT limitation?  I'm running W2K and I mistakenly
mounted my FAT32 system a second time with no problems (at least I was
able to navigate the directory, don't know about writing).

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 at 10:34 -0700, Warren Sanders soliloquized thusly:
> Nick Golder wrote:
> >On 03-02-27 09:48 -0700, the infamous Warren Sanders uttered:
> >
> >>I have a problem with the syntax of one of my smbmounts in the fstab.
> >>Problem is I can't give the filesystem as a quoted statement for the
> >>purpose of spaces in the name.
> >>
> >>I can manually do it by 'smbmount "//Mill/mill c drive" /home/CNC/Mill/
> >>-o username=cnc'.  But this in my fstab wont work:
> >>"//Mill/mill c drive"   /home/CNC/Mill  smb    username=cnc,password=cnc
> >>0 0
> >>
> >>I know; change the name!  But then I'd have to redo all the maps for the
> >>other machines on the network and besides it's at a remote location.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>--
> >>Warren Sanders
> >>http://MontanaLinux.Org
> >>

> >Create a second share to the same target with a syntactically friendly
> >name.  This will preserve your existant maps and allow for correct
> >future maps.
> >
> Except I left out the fact that the source box is a windows 98.  I don't
> think fat can do multiple shares.  But that would have been a good try.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Warren Sanders
> http://MontanaLinux.Org

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish
we didn't." Erica Jong (b. 1942); US author