[lug] Replacing FTP with a Web App?

Richard Heintze sieg_heintze at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 21:54:20 MST 2003

My client is presently running a public FTP server on
a windows box.

Is it true that FTP is a security risk?

He wants to abandon FTP in favor of a more user
friendly web application. I suggested WebDAV but he
thougth that was too complicated for his users.

Since he wants to eventually abandon Windows in favor
of Linux, how would you suggest I write a secure web
app that emulates only the login/password/security,
"put" and "ls" features of FTP?

J2EE (and therefor TOMCAT/JBoss) implements
authentication and authorization and they run well on
windows and linux.

I think Apache HTTPD implements authentication and
authorization too -- probably with perl.

Are there any other approaches you might recommend?

 Thanks,
         Siegfried