[lug] Is this scsi/kernel notation what i think it is...

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Mar 2 03:40:09 MST 2003

I finally made it through some hurdles in getting my old dual PII box up
with multiple boots. Most recently I added a win 98 install to
/dev/sda1, which of course means overwriting the MBR. To this end, I
went into the KRUD 8 CD in rescue mode, and did a chroot to the original
install point to correct this. I ran grub-install, and it works more or
less as expected. I can boot to the original boot entries, plus I can
boot to the win98 partition via grub.

Here is the part I didn't expect: I now get, during linux bootup
(/var/log/messages), I/O errors on 08:21 through 08:24. I'm pretty sure
08 is the major number for the scsi devices, and that 21 through 24 are
the minor numbers (this machine now has 5 scsi drives in it, and no IDE
other than cdrom). One of those SCSI drives has a jumper ID of 8, so I'm
not *absolutely* positive that the 08 means major number. Should 08:21
through 08:24 refer to major/minor numbers, this translates to /dev/sdb5
through /dev/sdb8...but I don't have those partitions on sdb, I have
only sdb1 and sdb2. Does that really mean sdb5 through 8? If so, was
this more likely to be caused by my use of grub-install, or from win 98
trying to "fix" things? [during grub-install I just named /dev/sda as
argument, nothing else]

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com