[lug] OT: [kinda] Software Audit and Inventory tools

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Mar 3 10:44:19 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 10:07, ryan.wheaton at attbi.com wrote:
> Anyone know of GPL'd or Freeware software auditing and/or inventory tools?
>
> I've seen some "free" ones around, but it's limited to 25 machines.  Ideally,
> I'd like something that has a client that is run on the desktop machine
> (windows) and reports back to one of my linux servers (but any kind of free
> reporting would be fine).  Although it would be nice, the one program doesn't
> have to return both information about the software and the hardware, but I do
> need a program for each.
>
> I was just wondering what everyone else was using, because I'm dreading having
> to go around and do all this by hand.

If you don't find a package for doing this, you could do this yourself.
If you use an NT server login on your Windows clients, you could set up
a script that did a recursive directory listing of drive C: and saved
the output to a shared drive on the server.

Then you could do some Perl scripting with the directory listings and
find software installs.

Without an NT server login, you could do the same thing, but you would
have to go to each system and start it manually.

You can get hardware information from Windows by using msinfo.exe,
msinfo32.exe, winmsd.exe, depending on the version of Windows.  There
are command line flags to make those output to a file instead of
starting a GUI.